Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Child stabbed for his soccer ball


Carl Forbay is too scared to go back to school. On Thursday, the 10-year-old was attacked and stabbed three times in the boys' toilets. It all started during break at Sir Edmund Hillary School in Kensington, Johannesburg, when Carl refused to give his attackers - both 13-year-olds - his ball. He was followed to the toilets, where one of the boys stabbed him in the buttocks. Carl said the Grade 5 pupils had followed him, asking to borrow his soccer ball. He refused and one boy pulled out the knife from his bag and began stabbing him. "He kept saying he wants the ball. He pushed me around and then stabbed me," Carl said from his Troyeville home. While trying to defend Carl, his friend, who had gone into the toilets with him, got into a fight with one of the attackers. "There was just the four of us inside (the toilets). I was scared. My body was sore. The boy that stabbed me said they would kill me if I opened my mouth," Carl said. After the break, Carl had gone back to class, but his teacher was not there.
Full Story Here